Monday, June 13, 2011

A Window to the World- via a Cake Shop

I had two events this weekend which ostensibly should've both been a blog post. Alas, I wasn't feeling either of them to be honest.

The first, a Bootsy Collins concert was rather lacking. The people watching was by far the best-in-show. That was a good mixture of hipsters, peeps like BK and me, and some old-skewl black people. The performance itself, very little Bootsy with bad acoustics, and lots of back-up singers. Maybe that's what one gets with a back-up act?

The second, Andersonville's Midsommarfest. Not much into street fairs so enough said.

Which takes me north to Evanston and Bennison's Bakery with their window. I'm transfixed by this unobtrusively social feature. If you are lucky you can catch one of the master bakers practicing their craft. Bennison's also features a live webcam and a blog- which could use some updating. You could also follow them (@BennisonsBakery), but seeing the window is a must.

Why do I write about this? Well, I find the window to be one of those quirky, yet essential asides from the urban(ish) landscape. If you pass by frequently enough, you may miss it. I love being able to take the time to gawk at the rainbow icings, and if I'm lucky get a glimpse of the expert practitioners. I love watching craftsmen (or women at work). I don't even have a sweet tooth, but I could always enjoy one of the Croque Monsieur's.  I'll file this away under the 'experential collections.'

It is the experience that is essential! Visit Bennison's and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment