Monday, July 18, 2011

Secret Gardens: Scaling the Wall via Reintroduction

Do you have a secret garden? Okay, I'm posing a loaded question because you are probably wondering if I mean this literally or metaphorically.

My answer: both!

Yesterday I was accompanying a dear friend around the city. She lived here once, had been delaying a visit, but the time was right. She was in the situation a good number of us have experienced when you reencounter a good friend you haven't seen in years. You know you still care for them, perhaps deeply, but interestingly you can't make much conversation. That must be the shock of unrealistic expectation. Quickly you realize you've both changed, there's almost no point in recounting it all, so you're basically reintroducing yourself.

Yesterday we found this secret garden. I won't reveal the location- as it is a secret- at least to us. But I love the notion, and the original tale by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Where am I going with all of this? That is long ago friends, out of town visits, and secret gardens.

Well, if you are familiar with the tale and the character of Ben Weatherstaff, maybe you like to peer over the garden walls. What you find may surprise you- pleasantly or maybe not so. Maybe it forces you to reconsider your expectations? That can be a valuable experience.

I believe secrets are meant to be kept. But tell me, do you have a secret garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment