Monday, August 1, 2011

Communal Living: Pragmatism Not Psychedelics

neal-schindler.blogspot.com- he joined Ravenna Kibbutz
Communal living probably isn't for me. I'm just being frank, and perhaps that lends credibility to this post. Really you're getting truly objective insight here.


On Friday @itsbarry and I joined a group here in the 'hood for Friday evening Shabbos. I formally met this group when I was coming home the previous Friday evening, and they extended an invite. They are organized around communal living principles meaning they share labors, food preparation and so forth. If you venture by their place, you'll note they are quite adept at container gardening.

An air of the kibbutz movement on a north side street. I'd been by this place maybe twice per day going on seven years now. The building itself was once abandoned at the beginning of the mortgage meltdown, fell into disrepair, was condemned, but taken over by some fellows who launched this community. Rubble begets a new day! The kibbutz movement is founded on that principle if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not a religious person by any measure, though I maintain an appreciation for and ongoing interest in culture. This experience delivered! After welcoming the Sabbath, we sat down to a lovely supper and got to know some of the participants. Many of whom, like us were visiting. An eclectic mix of a rabbi, a professional musician, students and some communal livers.

I'm not altogether clear how this is organized, and that isn't entirely accidental. I've learned to appreciate that sort of ambiguity. I really don't need to know all the insight, and pearls of wisdom are often revealed over time.

What does one take from this? Well, I'm not turning to religion nor am I poised to embrace communal living. Sorry to disappoint. But, as is generally the theme of this blog, it is all about the experience. Some of the best just happen to be right under your nose. If you take the time to see them. It may actually be extending you an invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment