Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Escape to Gotham

Yes, you read that correctly. I had to get out of town, as I was a little frazzled with my situation. Where to go to get 'away from it all'? why NYC of course!

I am fortunate enough to have a good friend with a room- yes a whole bedroom in NYC- for me. And let's just be clear here, when I say NYC I mean 'The City' as in Manhattan. Lest you should think I spent my time on Staten Island. Nothing against Staten Island, of course.

It was a short trip, but we managed to make it out of town (The City) and head up to Nyack State Park. A little hike brought us to the idyllic Rockland Lake:

From September 2009


It was lovely, and I managed a wee nap. On the return to the city, we managed a stop in Astoria to visit some Bulgarian shops. You may not realize it, but Sofia is alive and well in Astoria. Were I part of the Bulgarian diaspora, I am sure I would find comfort in these spots. A wee bit of home where they are able to make sausage and cheese pairing recommendations. From Hungarian salami to olives of all sorts, this was the place:

From September 2009


The next day took us to Moma and out for cocktails at a lovely spot called Luxembourg. I enjoyed a ginger bourbon concoction.

From September 2009


So much so that I went for round deux. Very tasty, and the bartender was accommodating and knowledgeable. I liked the cocktail and him muchly! Did I mention that Lux was full of eye candy (dudes) too? If I lived in the 'hood, I'd frequent this spot. We considered sampling some apps, but the desire for hot dogs was over powering. The siren song of encased meats!

Tomorrow I will do another post about the Moma visit, as that really warrants its own post. But I will leave you with this pic. I do like posing with sculptures:

From September 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment