Sunday, October 4, 2009

Nightwood

After the thorough shellacking I gave myself last weekend (there was a 4:15 am evening) I was looking forward to gastronomic endeavours this weekend. My dear friend, EE, mentioned a trip to Pilsen to try that place by the 'Lula Cafe' people. That is properly known as Nightwood.

EE and I were joined by my Smelts friend, BK. All intrepid diners we were eager to sample as much of the menu as we could. So we began with salads of Pears and Pistachios and Peppers and Bacon, followed by a ravioli of Duck Confit. The later was presented in precise al dente style.

From October 2009


From October 2009


We were then presented with the challenge of selecting a main course. Originally I had been advocating for a duck and rabbit pate to no avail. When I noticed the rabbit and polenta on the menu, I insisted we partake. The rabbit was very well prepared, tender and savoury as rabbit should be. The creamy polenta with Brussels sprouts made a solid complement:

From October 2009


I paired my meal with a glass of the house Cabernet. Fortunately it was light enough to complement all the selections:

From October 2009


BK sampled the Gimlet cocktail (I believe it was a vodka concoction). He scored some cred with me on that selection. Not that he needs any from me.

From October 2009


An added bonus of the evening was running into two 'mos from the HIC. I did not know their names, so it was nice to finally meet properly. They will hence forth be known as M and K.

Finally, sad news today on the shuttering of Gourmet Magazine. A Conde fixture for five decades, I know it will be missed by foodies and followers alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment