Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Week of Gastronomy

I have been neglecting this blog lately. One reason is simply not remembering to blog, another is that I am somewhat constrained in terms of the content. Since I don't address politics or news timeliness isn't so much a factor.

Nevertheless I am moved to blog as I have enjoyed several dining experiences as of late and feel compelled to share them with you, my readers.

The first takes us back to Tuesday last when I had the please of dining at Yoshi's Cafe in the Lakeview neighborhood. I had eaten there once previously for my friend, CP's natal day. But that was nearly three years back, and since we (CP and his partner PH) have a monthly dining outing, I suggested Yoshi's. Granted not much of a treat for them, since they dine here weekly. CP has actually been something of a regular for 20+ years, so he is well known. So last Tuesday- 1/2 price martini night- I enjoyed a Ginger Cosmo, a broccoli soup to start, and a seafood Nicoise salad. The tastiest element was the shrimp tempura made from fresh gulf shrimp. Rather sweet on the palate but overall very clean:

From November 2009


The following evening took me to a little Mexican Cafe around the corner from our pool. One of my favorite dishes there is a the Posole- a hearty soup of hominy, broth and pork shoulder. It is served with cilantro and cabbage as garnish, and tortilla:

From November 2009


I enjoy soups muchly. I always feel they are the gateway to a cuisine or restaurant. If the soup is inadequate, the rest of the place is likely to be as well. So this Sunday I set to making a black bean and ham hock concoction suggested by my friend HK. It is easy to make in the Crock Pot, makes the apartment smell divine, and is hearty and satisfying:

From November 2009


I accompanied this dish with a Manhattans served in my new '50's style cordial glasses. I picked them up for $1 ea (set of 4) and think they are a natty addition to my settings.

From November 2009


I would've made a blog post about Halloween. It is my favorite holiday after all. Yet I took no photos, wrapped up as I was in the festivities. It was an enjoyable and glam weekend to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment