Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Summer 2011---> Getting Punk'd

Since yesterday was Labor/Labour Day, I didn't post.

I'm going to trust that most of the loyal readers of this blog decided to take the day. As the final holiday of the summer season I am always a little glum. Let me be clear that 'autumn' does not officially begin until the 21st of September. But here are some points, on the season that was:
Summer Waning

  • This year in particular, I feel like I sat out the summer. The arm issue didn't help matters. For those of you who don't know, I had a fracture in my upper humerus which kept me somewhat sidelined. Since I'm not the best patient- by any means- I did maintain an adequate schedule of activities.
  • I did manage to make it to several outdoor swims, albeit at my reduced pace. That's not too bad, considering the condition things where in on Memorial Day 2011.
  • Learned the value of doing more by doing somewhat less. This is a topic for many other posts, but sometimes you can actually do better by slowing down a little. That's provocative for sure.
Autumn is a lovely season for sure. Many nice days, ideal for activities like cycling etc. I intend to enjoy, and not pay too much attention to the shortening days and the sun that sinks ever perceptively into the southern sky. I take heart though, as even that has its limit.  Winter is no longer than Summer, but it does seem to linger like a nasty abscess.

Memorial Day 2012 is on the 28th of May. Mark your calendars!

No comments:

Post a Comment