Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mercat on Tuesday

It was a very cold evening, this past Tuesday. So it seemed opportune to stay inside an enjoy a grand meal. Mercat a la Planxa is the Chicago outpost of the noted Philadelphia chef, Jose Garces. The tapas of the Catalonia region is on display here.

My good friend, SP, and I arrived a few minutes early so we started with a De La Boqueria cocktail. This is Bombay Gin, Pomegranate Liqueur, Sour and Mint. A nice presentation:


Full disclosure, I'd eaten here once previously and we'd arranged for the chef's sampler. Since the others were on their maiden voyage (SP, CP and PH), that seemed the route to go this time too.


So we started with a sort of Catalonian Bruschetta coupled with a Spanish Omlette:



And quickly moved into more robust fare such as bacon wrapped dates:


Shrimp- which went entirely to the vegetarian in the party, SP. I was just happy to see him eat something with protein. Granted this did have a head, so I guess that technically makes it not vegetarian. But I can't imagine why anyone would willingly become a vegetarian, so I'll leave it at that. But it does make for a nice photograph:



We completed the meal with a selection of Spanish cheeses. I love cheese as a desert course. Not much of one for sweets, I enjoy the savoury side of life and these cheeses were a nice touch:


So thinking about our January outing....


No comments:

Post a Comment