Monday, December 28, 2009

Phat of the Land

That's ph as in phundraising, or fundraising in non-urban parlance.

Back in May of 2009 my swim team, the Chicago Smelts, held a fundraiser. Not something we ordinarily do, and that had been remarked upon repeatedly. Seriously, why would a swim team comprised of adults need to raise money? I wanted for a ready answer since I became intimately involved.

However, this is a case of all ending well. You see the Smelts ended up raising quite a bit of cash, and we were faced with the issue of how to disperse the funds. There were numerous suggestions- some solid, others not so. Fisticuffs nearly ensued, but a solution I supported prevailed.

The Smelts is an organization that was founded by and continues to enjoy broad support from an engaged gay community centered around the Lakeview 'hood. So we decided to focus our largesse on the community and gave to Gill Park (CPD), Howard Brown Health Center and Center on Halsted.


That's the Development Peeps at Howard Brown. They're a rakish lot, eh? I felt briefly like the late Ed McMahon passing out those Publishers Clearing House checks. Next year, I'm going to photo-shop them into a grande size.

Here's Towne Crier and the Executive Director of Center on Halsted:


They were all pleased to see me, especially since I appeared unannounced. I was very pleased to take on this task. Normally people are pleased to see me, but this took the cake.

On that note I'll leave you devoted readers- provided you actually exist- until January. The TC is off to Mexico, so you can expect some mid-winter posts about Olde Mexico. Ole!




No comments:

Post a Comment